8 Scents That Make You Happy
Did you know that there are certain scents that make you happy—and that there’s real science behind how they work?
Scent and emotion are closely linked. And, many of the smells that you’re naturally drawn to are appealing specifically because of how they interact with your olfactory receptors.
This unique occurrence is due to the connection between your olfactory receptors and the limbic system of your brain, which is responsible for helping you regulate and process your emotions. So, when you surround yourself with scents that make you happy, you’re actually sending very clear signals to your brain about how you want to feel and how to make it happen.
Because our scent associations are a largely personal thing, each of us has specific smells that invoke specific emotions. But when a mood boost is in order, there are certain scents that make you happy on a broader level, and they might be just the ticket to invoking more positivity in your day.
How to Improve Your Mood with Scents
Every time you’re exposed to a scent it sends a message to your brain. This gives scents a very powerful ability to affect your mood and brighten your day, and is one of the key factors behind aromatherapy’s therapeutic benefits.
You know better than anyone what scents you feel connected to. But if you’re looking for some additional guidance, here are some of the scents that can spur on happiness and other feel-good emotions.
Mood-boosting essential oils
There are certain scents with a known ability to increase happiness. These include:
- Lavender – A floral scent that can induce feelings of calm and relaxation.
- Pine – A naturally stress-relieving scent.
- Ylang ylang – A tropical scent associated with calmness and more positive energy.
- Vanilla – A warming scent that has been shown to lower stress and improve moods.
Scents for productivity
If you’re feeling sluggish, a productivity-improving scent could help you get over the hump—and help you feel happier in the process.
- Peppermint – A scent that leaves you feeling invigorated and more energetic.
- Citrus – Orange, lemon, and pink grapefruit scents can all give you a much-needed boost of energy.
- Jasmine – An uplifting scent that can calm nerves and improve confidence and optimism.
- Rosemary – An herbaceous scent that’s been shown to improve memory and alertness.
Enjoy Fragrance Therapy at Home
Once you find the scents that make you happy, you can incorporate them more fully into your living space for a mood boost that stays with you throughout the entire day. Our scent products are designed to do just that, with a huge range of high-quality, non-toxic aromas that are easy to enjoy at home, in the office, and on the go.
Want something more specific? Work with our team to design a custom signature scent that is perfectly formulated to how you want to feel, whether you’re looking for an improved mood, more energy, or increased relaxation—or all three!
Combined with our aromatherapy diffusers, our scents put you on the fast track to better feelings. Try for yourself and see (and smell) what a difference scent therapy can make in your day.